Saturday, July 31, 2010

I need help getting people to attend my club meetings at my university. Need advice from religious folks.?

I am the Vice President of a club at my University, but we are having trouble getting the types of people we want to come to our meetings.


(I hope anyone who takes the time to answer also takes the time to read my question and try to understand where I am coming from).





There are many christian and muslim organizations at our univeristy which have many members. However, we also have an organization called AAFSA (Atheist, Agnostic, Free Thinking Student Association), which was formed by a friend of mine (the current president).





We meet every other week to have discussions on various topics. About a week before our meeting I create and post flyers around the school advertising the meeting, stating the current topic, and inviting everyone to come and participate.





Examples of past topics were: ';What are your views on extremists in religion? What defines an extremist, and what positive and negative purposes do they serve?';





[More details to follow]I need help getting people to attend my club meetings at my university. Need advice from religious folks.?
Reach out to other groups and offer to debate others on their viewpoints. Make sure you don't attack them and be sure to have very clear rules for the discussion, or it could all turn bad. Then you could host joint meetings and have spinoff discussions within your own separate groups.I need help getting people to attend my club meetings at my university. Need advice from religious folks.?
Have them in a bar. Seriously.
My friend,meetings are good but why such topics?


You are all wasting your time talking about nothing you will benefit.


Why don't switch into bible study which will help you live a life of faith in God and the living hope in it.
Just as you might be uncomfortable attending a revival at a Pentecostal church because you would be leery of the evangelism, probably those religious believers you want to share with are afraid of your form of ';evangelism.';





In one of your topics, you use the word ';extremist.'; That is a loaded word that may have scared people off. Extremists don't believe they are extreme, they believe they are doing the will of God, and they see any discussion of the matter as criticism. Also, many religious people are taught not to associate with atheists.





If you are honest about the sharing of information and are an open forum for everyone, and are careful about not denigrating the beliefs of others, and perhaps use less loaded language in your flyers, you may get people of all faiths to attend. Maybe the Christians and Muslims would listen to you, and perhaps you would listen to them and everyone would learn something.
I was involved in many university clubs in my time, and found there was only one sure fire way to get people to show to meetings...





Free booze.





Seriously, it's the only thing that works.





Doesn't even matter how disgusting the free booze is. You can mix up vile vats of Yucca Flux (slimy fruit cocktail remnants mixed with whatever spirits are on sale that day), and you'll get people.
My original answer was just going to be provide food, but after actually reading your question I'm actually going to give a real answer.





I'm not exactly sure if you're actually posting, time %26amp; location on your fliers or not, but that might be what is keeping people from attending. I know in this day and age you shouldn't have to worry about meeting, no matter who you are, but the fact of the matter is that some people still don't feel save revealing that they are ';Atheist, Agnostic, Free Thinking';





So what I'd suggest is have meetings by word of mouth and open by invitation only. I know you don't want to make this an exclusive club, but initially this will create a ';safer'; environment. You can also start by utilizing a private message board, then when you obtain enough members, you can start meeting in person.





Hope this helps! Good luck!
I believe in something called religious science %26amp; what we do when we want something is something called a prayer treatment you can do the same thing %26amp; call it visualization. We know that everything is energy %26amp; what we are seeking is seeking us. So we focus our energy on all the people who are there that have been wanting a group like the one you are offering. I would just know that they are coming to out meeting %26amp; sharing the info. with others %26amp; it is growing in positive ways. You might want to read ';the secret'; I don't think it is religious if it is just ignore the religious part. Science of mind/religious science is also for all people no matter what they believe you can look them up on internet %26amp; call %26amp; ask them to do a treatment which can be mystical or just a way to focus your thougths it works so just try it %26amp; you get what you want or you can keep doing what you are doing that isn't working.
Best of luck to you. More Free Thought clubs are popping up on campuses, a good sign.





Films are always a good draw.
I'm not religious, but if you want religious people to come to your meetings, you're going to have to change your name. Maybe just make it the Free-Thinkers Society, or something like that. Having atheist and agnostic in the name will keep religious folks away from you like NASCAR fan clubs keep Mensa members away.
';What are your views on extremists in religion? What defines an extremist, and what positive and negative purposes do they serve?';





I would not come to this meeting because I am not interested in others opinion on this. People that come would, as you say, all have the same opinion of which I am supportive. so why would I want to come to a meeting to listen to people that agree with me and each other. Lets have a meeting to discuss our opinions of chocolet.


r


I think that even the extremists don't know they are extremists. They think you are talking about other extreamists.





The very tone of your group suggests, ';Lets get togehter and bash religious people and talk about how dumb they are.';





What ';Types'; of people are you trying to attract. Religious people so you can tell them how awful they are and try to convert them?





Maybe there is not as many athiests and agnositcs as you think on campus. Or maybe you are saying, we are a group of athiests and agnostics and we want people other than athiests and agnostics to come to our meetings. The whole things seems scary to me. It does not sound like a free thinker would be welcome unless they were a free thinking agnostic or atheists.





However, you might try sex drugs and rock and roll. worked in the 60s.
This is a good help:





http://www.chick.com
The quail of doom suggests something like cake and punch. Also, I would be interested about what would happen if you passed a plate along.
  • pores
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment