Saturday, July 31, 2010

Why do people rush on here seeking medical advice?

for their children instead of just taking them to their family doctor, physician, or emergency room first? Why would they waste valuable time seeking an answer on here by common people who are not trained in the field rather than seek the aid of a doctor? Does this make sense to any of you?Why do people rush on here seeking medical advice?
I know I have wondered the same thing. Just today there was a question about a child's weight and them refusing to eat. What does this person expect people on here to tell them? Obviously the child needs to see a doctor why come on here and ask that question. Honestly it's not even just those questions that make me wonder. Some of the questions on here make me feel like everyone should take parenting classes before having kids.Why do people rush on here seeking medical advice?
I've ask two medical type questions on here I have either been waiting for my doctor to open or call back. Earlier I asked a question out of fear because I am having pain, and believe it may be a miscarriage. The er doctors where I live are useless... If you're pregnant and you go to them- they just send you home and tell you to take Tylenol... (I have spoken to several pregnant woman who have the same story)





So the reasons are FEAR and WAITING is long and painful for people who want answers ASAP...
1. Fear





A lot of folks really don't like going to the doctor, even though the doctor may be able to give the best diagnosis.





2. Money





Some folks can get a good answer from yahoo answers and save the money and time of going to the doctor.
Probably looking to save money, but the big reason may be DENIAL%26gt; They don't want anything serious to be the matter, and are hoping that people will reassure them.


Just my 2垄


On the other hand, I was once privileged to diagnose (accurately) a very unusual medical condition which a doctor may have missed. The patient did go to a doctor also.
THERE IS ALSO THE POSSIBILITY THAT WHOEVER IS ASKING IS WAITING FOR THE DOCTOR'S OFFICE TO CALL BACK, OR THE OFFICE ISN'T OPEN YET. HOWEVER, I AGREE. CHOKING, TURNING BLUE, BABIES WITH PERPETUAL DIARRHEA LASTING A WEEK AND A HALF, HIGH FEVERS THAT WON'T BREAK AFTER THREE DAYS IN A NEWBORN, ETC..... THESE THINGS SHOULD BE ADDRESSED IN AN EMERGENCY ROOM, NOT ON YAHOO ANSWERS. I KINDA FEEL SAD FOR THESE PEOPLE, BUT I REALLY ACHE FOR THE CHILDREN THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE CARING FOR.
Well for common sense and flat out ';duh'; questions (';my baby is choking'; or ';my child has a fever of 103 for three days now';) yeah I can see where coming here is a little pointless and they should be seeking professional medical care.


However there are some things, like a diaper rash, runny noses, strange colored poo in babies, or minor things, that don't require a doctor's visit and asking other moms who have been there is very helpful in deciding where to go from that point. I know many many people who take their kids to the ER or doctor at just a sniffle rather than treat a lot of it at home. Things like cold, flu, and allergies cannot be cured at the doctor and a lot of the time the doctor will tell the parent that when they bring in their child. They may write a prescription to relieve symptoms if they are debilitating, but it's not necessary when you can use home remedies and over the counter meds for regular symptoms. That and if it's not 100% necessary a lot of people don't want to spend money at a doc appointment when they just get sent home and told that a few days of rest will do the trick.
It is a bit frightening to see certain questions like ';My child is turning blue, what do I do?';... around here, yes. Many of those questions are unfortunately (or fortunately) fake, b/c really, common sense has to come to people (hopefully) in situations like that.





I agree with you.
I think people just need reassurance that taking their children or themselves to the doctor is the right thing to do. I also think sometimes people are waiting to get in to the doctor and just want the advice of other who have been through the same things. What gets me is the people who answer questions and give bad advise that could hurt people.
If it doesn't seem to be an emergency, I can understand why. It's cheaper in some cases. Even if they have insurance, they may not live very close to the hospital or a doc's office and considering the gas prices, if it's not a definate emergency, why waste the time and gas for the doc to tell you there's nothing wrong? I usually call their pediatrician if I don't have the answers, and talk to a nurse or something.
  • mark cosmetics
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment