Sunday, July 25, 2010

Women or healthcare people please please give me advice, im scared.?

I just had a pap smear test done when i was on my period a month ago. My doctor told me that he will try to do the test even though I am on the Period. My test results came back and they were normal, however I am kinda scared because I just read a book that said ';women should not be on their period when they have a pap smear done.'; The lab said that everything was normal but for some reason I am still a little scare. Am I going over board with this? My doctor told me that if the lab couldn't read it then they would send me back which they didn't but is there still a chance that my period could have messed something up, or are labs usually correct? PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR ADVICEWomen or healthcare people please please give me advice, im scared.?
I am wondering why you are so scared? If you have reason to think you may have HPV or other STD, get a full VDRL screen done. The PAP is actually to test for cervical cancer cells, if you test on your monthly cycle, you can actually get a false result saying you have precancerous cells. If you have a 'clean' PAP while menstruating, that is very much an indicator that you do not have problems.





Deep Breath, relax.Women or healthcare people please please give me advice, im scared.?
If they could not get adequate cells to test - they would have marked it as ';inconclusive'; or tainted sample - so I wouldn't worry about it. Next time - remember to cancel if you are on your period. And reschedule for a couple of weeks later - it's done all the time.
You can ask your doctor for a re-test. You may be charged for it outside of your insurance, but at least you'll have peace of mind.
Labs are usually correct but if you need comfort go to another Doctor and get labs done at another place and put all your fears to rest.
The only reason they tell you not to go on your period for a PAP is because it can give a false ';abnormal'; reading. Relax! If it came back fine, you're fine =)
Take a deeep breath. I'd take the doc's word for it. If he couldn't read the test, he'd have redone it.
Your doctor feels confident in the results so I wouldn't worry about it. If there was any doubt, they would re-screen you.

No comments:

Post a Comment