Saturday, August 21, 2010

Horse people out there-any horse selling/trading advice-esp. in the WV, OH,PA area?

Long story short--I love my 14 Thoroughbred gelding so much, but I have decided to go into western riding and get a smaller, calmer horse. My guy is great for an intermediate, like a puppy on the ground and totally sound, but I am a beginner and want a shorter horse that is less forward (He is 16.3). I guess my question is the market for this sort of horse. I absolutely don't want him to go to an auction, somewhere bad. I have thought about keeping him, gone back and forth, and have just gone with my instinct to get a different horse--but it's most important to me that my current horse is taken care of.


The problem is, it's very hard (or it seems to be) to place a Thoroughbred that isn't very young. I am thinking maybe a lesson horse, an English pleasure sort of home? I am willing to trade for a trail horse, 15.2 and under. Any tips? This is a pretty nerve racking process...thanks for any tips!Horse people out there-any horse selling/trading advice-esp. in the WV, OH,PA area?
Check with your local H/J barns and see if anyone there is looking for a horse. You might even be able to lease him out so they can try him or just use him. That way you will know what is going on and have some control over what he is doing and where he would go that way. You might also see if any barn is looking for a more advanced lesson horse. I know some barns around here lease horses for clients to take lessons on if they do not have what is needed there or they will buy one if they have a client bass for that type of horse.





Other then that you might have a hard time especially this time of year. Horse people out there-any horse selling/trading advice-esp. in the WV, OH,PA area?
Really wish I was in your area because I would trade in a heartbeat. I love my thoughbreds!!!!!!!
I'm in Ohio and there are many kids in our county that have TB horses for 4-H. We live pretty close to a racetrack as well, and I know people who have several retired track horses. Man, are they fun to ride!





I would think that an older TB would be a good find for an experienced 4-H kid. Have you talked to 4-H clubs? Maybe even offer him out on a lease? That would guarantee he's being worked and well cared for without the stress of wondering where he ends up after a final sale. I leased out my little 1/2 morgan for a 4-H project for awhile and it worked out really well.





Unfortunately, the horse market is down in general, primarily because the economy is terrible. I've had about 5 people offer me free horses in the last two years. The cost of hay is high and this area of the country is really struggling with job losses and unemployment. Many people can't afford the feed bills anymore. I'm even downsizing my farm to make ends meet.





Start by checking with 4-H clubs, and in this area, I recommend advertising in Farm and Dairy as well. Bimonthly ag newspaper with a tri-state circulation.





Good luck to you and I hope it works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment