Monday, August 23, 2010

Troubles with religion, people, and my faith. Anyone have any advice?

I am a huge skeptic. Ever since I was a sophomore in High school (I'm a college freshman now) I have stopped following my family's beliefs blindly and have been questioning everything I come across.





Since then I have been stressed out when it comes to religion and theism. I just don't know what to do.





Religion scares me. So does the Bible, preachers, priests, churches, etc. My problem is I don't trust other people or sources when it should come to a ';relationship'; with a higher power.





I don't feel that the Bible is a good source because of the level of superstition in it. I just cannot believe in MY HEART that there was a talking snake, a huge flood with two of each animal, earth's creation in seven days, Jesus rising from the dead etc.





I don't feel preachers, priests, and other people are necessary. If God is real, then I feel my relationship and connection to him should be one on one. I don't need a middle source.





And then there is Jesus. I'm having a very difficult time with that. Born of a virgin? Rose from the dead after three days? This does not come across me as realism. This comes across as superstition.





You can tell yourself and other you believe in something. But deep down inside, you do not. You cannot force yourself to believe in anything. That's what this is all about.





I feel I can never trust the Bible, or Church, or other people when it comes to a relationship with a higher power. And I feel the story of Jesus is pure mythology.





It stresses me out so much. My lack of faith in what Christianity teaches stresses my parents out and they feel ';heartbroken and will never be the same';.





I conclude with this: I am still skeptical when it comes to God (not necessarily the Christian one) but may accept that possibilities.





When it comes to religion and the things that go with it: I hate it and want to stay away.





Any information for someone to stressed and not knowing which way to go?Troubles with religion, people, and my faith. Anyone have any advice?
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here... are you telling us that you feel a call to honor God in some form, but that Christianity (which is what you've been describing) scares you?





In that case, it might be a matter of investigating the hundreds of other religions that are nothing like Christianity. A religion such as Wicca, which has no Bible or central hierarchy, accepts the validity of science, and in which every trained member is a priest/ess responsible for their own relationship with our Gods, might be more comfortable for you. Or the Belief-o-Matic quiz might help you to find a religion/philosophy that best suits you.





http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Q鈥?/a>





Best of luck to you, wherever your path may lead you.Troubles with religion, people, and my faith. Anyone have any advice?
Wow man I have been going through that for years. I was disowned by my grandparents when I told them the same thing. My wife also got disowned by her grandparents disowned her as well. Now my six year old has no family left how can I explain to her what happened. I would definately say that christianity has done me in. I only allow my child to go to church 1 time a month and I will try to keep her open minded so that she doesn't feel that she needs the bible or church because I don't want her to be scared into believing that a man was a god, which I can assure you is not true. I am 27 years old and I have been struggling with heaven and hell for a while and i can tell you the more and more research you do into it you will find that the translations are rong with the word hell. You know you can believe in a god and after life without picking up the bible, although I would recommend reading all religious texts no matter what religion. I think that there is a peace of the truth in all religious texts, I have read them all. Regaurdless of the claim no one knows what happens after we die and never will. Please don't let your family scare you back into being a radical christian. Most religions were political movements anyway. We also have to take into consideration what sort of god watches over us. A guy wo walcks around causing miracles just zapping things into existance, or a type of intelligence that webs through everything. Wow their are so many more peaceful alternatives to christianity, you should check them out or just keep your own beliefs to yourself so that your family doesn't disown you. I have been attacked by my own college professor and other students in my class over this issue and you can't win. GOOD LUCK arguing beliefs of the after life has been going on since the beginning of man and continues on.
Follow the path that is right for you. If other's object, you need to ignore them. Even your parents will come to accept it over time.
I'd say it's time to stop listening to everyone else and start listening to yourself. You were given the information you need from others, but now it's time to get introspective. They're not the ones who can tell you how you feel or think about some of these ideas you've been taught - only you can do that. And you'll know in your heart what is right for YOU. Just you. Only you. Even if you end up believing in something that many others do, it's still only you that must be at peace with the way you worship and believe (or even not at all). It's got to feel right, and something you can trust with all your heart.





Good luck on your path.
Be deliberate and fair about your questioning. Come to the conclusion that there is a truth to pursue and make it your goal to find it. Ask leaders and intellectuals in various faiths, including Christianity, to help answer these questions for you.





Lastly and most importantly, reach out to God and ask him to reveal who he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment