Thursday, August 19, 2010

I want to help people! but my degree is in business, not social work. ANY ADVICE?

I have just received my bachelors degree in Business Administration (concentration in Marketing Management). The main reason I decided to do business is because I figured it would be a good degree to get and it pays well for the most part. Now that I have graduated, I finally figured out what I really want to do. I want to get into more of a Social Work type job. Is that possible with a business degree? I really want to help people.... I am more worried about doing what I love rather than the pay (just need a job that helps pay the bills and stuff). I believe my purpose is to help people. My parents are the founders and directors of a a charity to help the poor and they have the largest food pantry in the whole state I live in. Although I love what they do, I was hoping to do something else. I was wondering: What are all the possibilities in Social Work? I know you can help the elderly in nursing homes and things like that, but want to know what else is out there.





Quite honestly, I am a recovering alcoholic... and I really truly want to help people who have had alcohol/drug abuse in their lives. Since it is something I have suffered for so long, I want to help others who have the same problem I have had. Is their any type of help I can get into in this field with my Business Degree?I want to help people! but my degree is in business, not social work. ANY ADVICE?
A lot of places hire people like you as addictions counselors, but require that while you work, you go back to school and they even pay for it. You will need to google it.





Other options are to work as a Mental Health Technician at a psychiatric hospital (children or adults- your choice). They hire around 10-11 bucks an hour, most places are taking applications because its a high needs position (stressful but good experience).





Other than that, you may need to go back to school for a BA in SW- the nice thing is if you do, your credits will transfer so all you will need is 2 years of full time work, and then a third optional year will get you the Masters degree.





There arent many places hiring though- I will let you know right away. I have a Masters in SW, and I am finding nothing- I had to go back to school myself for doctorate. Thus, as a BS in something other than the field- it will be tough!I want to help people! but my degree is in business, not social work. ANY ADVICE?
All charities have or require a person with marketing skills to enable collection of donations. Why not work in marketing in any business for a while to gain experience, and then seek marketing positions in charitable organizations. This way you will be able to help people indirectly, but very essentially, by ensuring an adequate flow of donations.





You could also use your marketing skills by volunteering your time and capabilities.





Hope this helps.
I honestly dont know the answer im sorry. But surely, if u have a degree u can pretty much do anything now





Why dont u, start off with volunteering. Or try and get some work experience for free. Im pretty sure anyone would give u the work experience as they are gaining from it and u will be too





That way, u have social work experience to put on ur CV





You could also try, counsilling which would probabaly suit u well due to ur own experiences with alcoholism. Or u could be a psychiatrist, but that would take more training. Theres also medical and family social workers. And substance social workers. U could also work in a school as an advisor? Or maybe a sexual health advisor? There are so many opportunities with social work





I would also like to say, congratulations and well done for ur achievement. I dont know u yet im really proud of u!

No comments:

Post a Comment