Thursday, August 19, 2010

My job laid off a lot of people including me, tell me your advice?

I'm a little ticked off, wait.. I'm really really angry! The first lay off I was kept here for my exceeding production goal! Yeah, I'm a great worker, I know that nobody here know's my job as well as I do at this point. They need me! But only until I teach everything to someone else. We were told there would NOT be another lay off. But soon enough... with the economy so bad, they laid off practically the whole company except 48 people. The people that got laid off and asked to leave that day, they are lucky! They get paid until April! Me.. well I'm unfortunate. I was asked to stay until May but after May, I don't get any sort of severance pay or whatever you would like to call it. So I'm basically STUCK here until they kick me out. I'm so angry, and I really just want to get up and leave, tell them I QUIT. I'm only here till May, and I have everything thrown at me because most of the girls that did my job are gone. I'm over welmed and ready to leave. What is your advice, should I ride it out and stay here, or should I just leave, and collect unemployment till I find a job?My job laid off a lot of people including me, tell me your advice?
If you quit, you do not qualify for unemployment. Consider yourself lucky to still have a job.My job laid off a lot of people including me, tell me your advice?
you can't collect unemployment if you quit , you will have to wait until you are officially layed off
If you quit you cannot collect unemployment. Looking for employment


is very difficult considering everyone is laying off or about too. If I were you I would be looking in the medical field. People are always sick and with this economy people are getting sicker. Consider getting an


associate degree in nursing. You can be an RN making big money with job security. If that's out of the question try working on your own,


even if it's mowing lawns and a morning paper route. GOOD LUCK.
if you quit, you don't get unemployment.
I was laid off last year, we had 3 teams in my department, CS, Data Entry, and Design. I worked with the design team, they laid off the CS team, paid them an extra month of work (which was when the company would shut down), plus another 2 weeks of severance pay. I got stuck having to work the other month that was left, because I was the only one that knew how to fix all the problems, and do the work of 6 different people myself. IF THEY ARE NOT GOING TO GIVE YOU A SEVERANCE PAY, then QUIT. They have no consideration for you, why would you have any for them. I did not quit mine because I did needed the money, it was little, but being a single mom I needed all the money I could take. But if I was you and knew they are not going to give me anything I would have left the same day, just get up and leave. Period. I did not get any unemployment benefits either so I know what you are talking about.


Your story sounds just like mine, same same. Talk to HR again and double check to make sure they are NOT going to give any pay before you quit thou. You know my company was only supposed to pay me 2 weeks severance pay, and after I left I got the paperwork with the great news that I got actually 4, which I think it was a way for the company to thank me for staying and helping, so think about, then make a decision and stick to it. I cried when I got laid off, because I loved my job, but life goes on, and eventually you will find something else. Staying the extra month there made me really depressed and there was not even one day that I wanted to get up and leave, maybe it would have been a good idea, but I would never know. I can tell you that once everything was done and I was gone, I felt a lot better from not being there anymore.
What you need to do is ask for a ';retention bonus';. These are typically given to people who are asked to stay in cases like yours - the good employees who are needed to either help save the company or close the doors. What you ask for should be at least as much as the severance the other people received or more. If mgmt accepts to pay you this bonus, you guarantee that you will stay until May.





If you offer this and it's not accepted, you are free to start looking for another job. You can look for another job while you have this position.





No you don't want to quit. But if you get fired for taking time off work for interviews etc, I would think that you could be eligible for unemployment.





Unemployment is at 7.6% nationwide and in some places 10%+. There are still jobs out there you just have to be patient to find them (the stat is for every $15K you expect to earn will need to should spend 6 weeks looking for a job - $30K would be 12 weeks, etc). The best way to find a new job is through networking with professional and personal contacts.

No comments:

Post a Comment