Saturday, August 21, 2010

I want to help people!!! But my degree is in business, not social work. ANY ADVICE?

I have just received my bachelors degree in Business Administration (concentration in Marketing Management). The main reason I decided to do business is because I figured it would be a good degree to get and it pays well for the most part. Now that I have graduated, I finally figured out what I really want to do. I want to get into more of a Social Work type job. Is that possible with a business degree? I really want to help people.... I am more worried about doing what I love rather than the pay (just need a job that helps pay the bills and stuff). I believe my purpose is to help people. My parents are the founders and directors of a a charity to help the poor and they have the largest food pantry in the whole state I live in. Although I love what they do, I was hoping to do something else. I was wondering: What are all the possibilities in Social Work? I know you can help the elderly in nursing homes and things like that, but want to know what else is out there.





Quite honestly, I am a recovering alcoholic... and I really truly want to help people who have had alcohol/drug abuse in their lives. Since it is something I have suffered for so long, I want to help others who have the same problem I have had. Is their any type of help I can get into in this field with my Business Degree?I want to help people!!! But my degree is in business, not social work. ANY ADVICE?
Well, I can understand why you would want to have such a lucrative major. With a business degree, it may be difficult. You may be able to find some sort of executive position in such a charity like the one your parents own. If you can't find a job that will allow you to help people, what about some volunteer work? I think that it would be a good idea to do something like this on the weekend. This way, you will make money and have the satisfaction of helping people who are less fortunate!I want to help people!!! But my degree is in business, not social work. ANY ADVICE?
A lot of times what your degree is in doesn't matter. It's just the fact that you have the degree. I know many people who have a degree in a field in which they are not working. If you want to go into that field, I say - go for it! You're already ahead of the curve by having the degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment