Thursday, August 19, 2010

People from the Middle East (and not from the Middle East....advice please!?

I need advice from both sides...thanks! A muslim family from Palestine recently moved in on my street. I live in Canada and am of European descent. I am really into different cultures and I like to talk to people from all over the world. I speak Farsi(persian) and a little bit of arabic. Anyways I went over to say hi to them because they were outside. It was a bit awkward because the mother couldn't speak english and the kids were 16 and under. (I am in my early 20's.) I know our cultures are quite different and I do have A LOT of muslim friends. Do you think it was the right thing for me to do to say hi? It seemed they were neutral to me coming to say hi and I don't want to feel awkward whenever I see them. People from the Middle East (and not from the Middle East....advice please!?
Just keep saying hi or waving when you see them but don't try and spark up a conversation. I think it was the right thing as your intention was to make them feel welcome and not to be rude or anything but since they just recently moved here they may not be used to this. I'm not sure since I don't really know what Palestinian culture is about but I do know that after being here for awhile they will probably warm up to you and will recognize you as a friendly face.





I say as long as you aren't forcing yourself into their homes and what have you, no harm done.People from the Middle East (and not from the Middle East....advice please!?
Saying hello to anyone with the intention of closeness %26amp; friendship is always OK, in my opinion.





No one can ever make you feel awkward, without your consent! If you allowed them to make you feel bad, then you have only got one person to talk to. The one in the mirror!





But with the good heart that you seem/sound to have, go ahead, say hi, salaam, shalom, and make someone's day!





Good job! Be proud of all the good deeds that you do! Don't let small things distract you! Best of success to you!
i totally think its okay because saying hi shows that you are welcoming them to the neighborhood and shows that you are nice. they probably are just still adjusting to everything. but it was nice that u went over to tell them hi. i speak farsi too btw! :)





salaam. khoobi? :)
You can speak farsi cool!! Did u take it in school or something? my best friend's dad is Persian, i love their culture lol!! You should just wave hi to them, since they are new, they are probably a little scared, from what's happening in their country. You should try to get close with teh kids, like playing basketball or teachign them to play whatever sport you like, make them feel welcome!! Your a really kind person. : ) If you have aalot of muslim friends, ask the arabic ones to teach you to speak simple arabic, since you know alittle it shouldnt be hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment