Saturday, August 21, 2010

Of the 5% of A.D.D. people who graduate from college, are there any out there who can offer some advice?

I have been diagnosed with A.D.D. since I was a kid. The medication helps when it comes to focus, memory, reading comprehension, problem solving, behavior and conversational skills. But they don't help me stay on track or improve my time management skills. Various tests and evaluations have characterized me as ';highly intelligent';. Still, I often take 8 hours on what should have taken 30 min. This analytical chain reaction occurs in my head and rather than a 1 page paper on photosynthesis (for example), I now have 12 pages of notes on photosynthesis, botany, agriculture, environmentalism, etc. I love research and writing. When I'm on my med's, I feel like all my pent up creativity and inspiration has finally been released and I'll explode if I supress it all by doing boring assignments. If I do manage to turn my attention to my assignments, the effort it takes to keep it there makes it difficult to maintain focus. Does anyone have any advice or maybe an A.D.D. success story?Of the 5% of A.D.D. people who graduate from college, are there any out there who can offer some advice?
I can tell you that a restricted diet which eliminates wheat, dairy, corn syrup and soy seems to be quite helpful in managing ADD symptoms.





If you want my opinion, I think that ADD and Autism show a kind of evolution for humanity as we tap into deeper levels of creativity and consciousness. It's fascinating as the parent of an 8 yr old girl with autism symptoms, to see the less I interfere with her (by giving her supplements and therapy) the better she does. The world is in a difficult spot and we need these new ways of being - the hyper creativity and the psychic stuff that the autism community displays - and so they are coming.





I wonder what it is that you want to do that makes you want to go to college. Your abilities - your own innate talents - will be a total gift to you in the right profession. Not everyone is programmed to learn in the traditional college way - in fact I hear lots of success stories about folks who find a firm they want to work for and intern for a year for free to learn the business, only to get a lot of offers at the end of the year. Someone who can sit and research for long periods of time and come up with ideas and make connections that others don't is a precious gift to some industry or area of humanity. Don't medicate or force that away. Find it's true calling, cash in and be happy.





Peace!Of the 5% of A.D.D. people who graduate from college, are there any out there who can offer some advice?
Find the vocation you love so your ';focus'; can be directed in a very good way.





ADD is different, I have it, my son has it. My son is getting straight A's in High School, but he occasional needs reminders that if he wants to go into his program of interest in college he'll need to get good grades.





If your professor is requesting one page, try to trim the 12 pages of notes but summarizing each page's highlights.





I focused my ADD into a decent career as a computer geek. I have a lot of various interests and hobbies.





I know of several physicians (with ADD) who have done well for themselves, many have become circuit speakers and earn very good income.





The boring assignments I did first. I had a couple of courses I took during college one was a Social Psych course that had the WORST teacher in town teaching it.She was a real dud. I went to class and wrote prolific papers, as my major was physiological psychology. The social psych ditz was troubling for me. My minor was history, and a couple of the courses we dull, it took extra effort to keep me from staring out the windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment